Mommy Holly Adventures

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Fishing is my favorite pasttime.

Yesterday was a fun day for us. We decided to take a fly fishing lesson with a guide. He took us to a park in the morning and taught us all about casting a fly rod. My arm & shoulder was really tired by the end of the morning. He taught us about the different types of flies and nymphs we would be using. Then we had a picnic lunch in the park and then headed to the river to launch the raft and set off on a fun afternoon of fly fishing. Well, it was fun for me and Larry, but not so much for the guide. Even though he told us we did a good job, I'm sure he hit the bar when we were done to drown his agony in beer. We fished for about 4 hours. When we started out, the sun was shining and it was so much fun drifting with the currents and going through the white waters. Our poor guide had to keep getting us untangled and replacing fishing line and flies for us. Once, Larry got hung up in a tree, so Mark had to row backwards against the current and wanted Larry to step out on the bank to get unhooked. Larry was in the back of the boat and I was in the front with Mark in the middle manning the oars. Well, all of a sudden, Mark and I heard this big splash. We turned around to see Larry in the river. To us it was so funny, but at the time, I'm sure Larry was not finding much humor in it. He still doesn't know how he lost his balance and ended up in the river. Anyway, he got his line untaangled and got back in the boat and started laughing at himself. (Good sign that all was well and we would continue to have fun) Larry had worn clothes that dry quickly so he wasn't wet for long ---- from the fall in the river. BUT, not long after that a storm came through and it started pooring. We got so wet it was unbelievable. Yet we continued to fish and have fun. At the end of the day I netted 2 brown trout and dropped 3 before I got them to the boat. I think Larry netted 2 and dropped about 1. Mark said we were the best beginners he has had all summer. (Right - I bet he says that to all his beginners.) Anyway, we have decided that if/when we come back here, we are going to try it again, but next time we will wade and fish. That's supposed to be easier for beginners.

Today is a relaxing day. We did laundry this morning and I dusted and vacuumed. Yes - you still have to do those things while on vacation. We are at the library right now and will go to the store - once again- before heading back to the RV to sit in the shade and watch the river flow, the geese fly and the rafters go by. It's a hard thing to do, but somebody's got to do it.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:50 AM, Blogger Amy Woods said…

    That is hillarious!! I'm glad dad found some humor in his fall! Was the water freezing? When do you go to the wedding? Or did that already happen? Things are good here! Horse camp and high school musical party keeping us busy!

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm in complete shock that you've been blogging. Who would've thought? I guess your blog is appropriately named, "Mommy Holly Adventures." First week of Kindergarten down and we're doing good here. I'm a little under the weather but who really counts me? Life must go on.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home